Friday, October 10, 2008

a working mom

Yep it's true.
Today I went to work.
Before I had Laex, I swore I would never want to be a working Mother because I would hate to put my child in day care.
Then I accomplished a fantastic goal and graduated college with a degree in a field that I just ooze over, I seriously love the broadcast field and I feel like it is part of me.
I've struggled as I know in the industry you have to either put both feet in and not look back, or risk ever being successful, and it isn't exactly something I can come to 25 years down the road and say, "I'm ready!".
PLUS, I would love some "me" time out of the home doing what I adore.
I've prayed that I would have the opportunity to continue accomplishing goals and get to use my talents.
Things have come along, but they were always too much for me - I don't want a full time job, and frankly we don't need the money so full time night producer at ABC wasn't something I chose.
Well, exactly a year ago I was the much loved (I see now) intern with Studio 5 on KSL. I had a blast, my experience was nothing but Fantastic - the people, the place, the opportunities - Everything, Perfect.
Recently I was contacted by Michelle Kettle, executive producer with Studio 5 who explained that she is way over her head and wanted to know if I would be interested in helping out. A day here and there (I pick my days), whenever she needs me - some months could be full, some not at all.
Of COURSE! - I was on board!! YaY!
Ultimately I'm doing Freelance work for them, which pretty much means I'm self employed and I hire out to them.
My first day was just as wonderful as I expected, time went by so fast and it was as though I had never left from my internship!
Best of all, it was LeGrand's day off - so I left Laex in the very trusting, loving, caring, fun hands of his Da da!
For now this is just what I need!

7 comments:

The McClellan Clan said...

I LOVE studio 5 that is so awesome!! And it going to be so cool with how your scheduling is going to work out!! Congrats. Give studio 5 a hi-five for me!!

Maria said...

Awesome! Congrats! It will be great for you. I am still working for the firm I worked for in UT. I kept a few clients plus whatever they send for me to do. It is so nice to have a change of pace every now and again. I remember you saying how much you loved your internship. Yeah for you!!!
(who will watch Laex when LeGrand isn't home?)

Hf said...

Yay for Mom time! Congrats on the workable schedule! You could always send Laex up this way :)

Brett and Diane said...

Isn't it wonderful when things work out so well. I'm happy for you.

The Hoopes Family said...

Good for you Lib!!! Being a working mom will be so satisfying not that motherhood isn't, but it's nice to feel appreciated for something other changing a diaper! LOL

Danielle Hacking said...

Thats great that you get to do something you love! Thanks for the birthday email, I appreciate it! Yes, lets plan a time to get together... what days are you working now?

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

How exciting, Lib! Congratulations on the new job. It sounds like the perfect job for a mom--not too much time away, but enough for a nice break and to keep your foot in the door in the industry. After all we talked about at lunch, I think this will be an awesome opportunity for you. Have fun!!