Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tuesday July 31, 2007: Laexin Orvel van Gass, LOV

It was this day one year ago that our little guy made his first appearance (on his due date!).

7/31/07
7:33 am
7 lb's 3 oz
21 inches
It wasn't easy, but it was worth it!

I awoke at about 1:45 am to use the restroom, only to lay back down and realize that something was going on, CONTRACTIONS, not allowing me to fall back asleep. I got up wandered around for a bit and realized they were getting a little worse. I took a shower, got ready, packed our bags, picked up the house and told LeGrand, "I think it's time". His response, "You know I hate mornings"! He then took his sweet time getting ready, gave me a blessing and we headed out the door.

We arrived at the hospital around 3:30 am, I was frustrated as they treated me like I was going home. They nonchalantly asked how long I had been contracting and how far apart the contractions were then the nurse took down my information on a NAPKIN and said, "we'll check you and see where you're at." Um, thanks. A FOUR, that's all. GREAT.

By 5:00 am I was at a NINE and they decided that maybe they would call my doctor who lived thirty minuets away, GOOD IDEA. TEN came but I wasn't allowed to push until the doctor, who was in route, either showed up or gave permission. My water hadn't broken.

FINALLY, permission from the Doc. Pushing, still no water breaking. Doctor shows up, breaks my water. Pushing, nothing happening. Pushing, babies heart rate dropping. They decided for the sake of the baby I should PUSH one contraction, then HOLD one contraction - if only it were that easy.

After about 45 min. the Doctors were concerned for the baby. They gave me my options and decided to use the suction, the risk: they could only try twice, if it didn't work they would have to do a c-section.

Within minutes they were ready to go, TWO pushes, baby arrived!! YAY!! Oh, did I mention, NO EPIDURAL, by choice.

If I only knew what was to come.

Upon whisking Laex away, cleaning him up and trying to return him to us he started crying and turning BLUE. He wasn't breathing well when he was upset. They took him to ICU where he spent the first 24 hours of his life. Then for THREE more days he was in the SPECIAL CARE unit. We were able to hold him, but only shortly and with hoses and wires coming from everywhere. They monitored him closely and learned that his lungs were fine but that he endured a mixture of swallowing fluids and stress from labor. I was released but wasn't allowed to take my baby, it was a HARD day. By 9 pm that same night Laexins doctor gave permission for him to go home, luckily I didn't have to spend a night without him!

There have been up's and down's and many bumps. (Falling from a carseat at 5 months, falling off the bed at 7 months and falling down the stairs at 10 months) But he's a strong, healthy, happy boy and brings us greater joy by the day.

I can't believe your ONE YEAR OLD.
24 lbs 13 oz
33 1/4 inches
Love you buddy!

4 comments:

Kandice said...

Aww. What a sweet little guy. I remember the day he was born and talking to your mom. I am glad you did this post, I love reading about labors and deliveries. He is lucky to have such a great mommy! (and daddy! ;)

Ben said...

you've made it a year! wow! did you ever think you'd make it that far? that's awesome. he's such a cutie! congrats, guys!

Rebecca said...

(sorry, that comment was from me--i must have been logged into ben's account for some reason)

The Hoopes Family said...

HAPPY BITHDAY!!!! We love you so much and can't wait to celebrate this milestone with you!!