Monday, June 15, 2009

Whew! What a weekend!

WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTO'S (if you can't handle blood and gore, don't look)

Ya know when life is going steady something is bound to happen, and it did. I'm so grateful it wasn't worse!

Friday, Laex and I headed to Vernal - we were planning on attending the wedding reception of good friends on Saturday evening. LeGrand stayed home because he had to work all weekend. Friday afternoon I got a phone call from him, he said, "I've just chopped off my fingers in the lawn mower, I'll call you back."

Great! And boy did I feel helpless.

He had just begun mowing the lawn when the mower started to clog. He held the handle with his right hand and reached down with his left to sweep some of the grass away from the shoot and stuck his had a bit too far in. He later informed me that he does this all the time (WHAT?!) - I'm one of those people who gets creeped out putting my hand in the shoot when I know the mower is off and can't do anything. Anyway, he had been talking with the neighbor across the street earlier so he said he stuck his hand under his armpit and ran to her house, knowing she was home. We have really great neighbors on both sides of us, people who would do anything for anyone - the neighbors across the street are very nice people, just think differently than most. She wouldn't have been the ideal person to help but none the less she agreed to take him to the insta-care in our little town. They got there and of course insta-care couldn't do anything but give him some pain meds. So they asked her if she would take him to the hospital (about 15 min. away) her answer still has me discusted - she said, "NO" - So here's LeGrand - helpless, he can't just try and call someone and sit around waiting for them to come. So they took him to the hospital in the ambulance (this isn't getting cheaper). He was at the hospital for about four hours while they worked on him. And thank heavens for great friends who then came and rescued him, took him to get perscriptions then home. So, he lost his birdie finger almost to the first knuckle - they had to pull out some broken bone and a small amount of nail bed that was left, and chopped up the tip of his ring finger - so pretty much all three of his middle fingers will be about the same length.
*Side note: LeGrand used to have a very bad habit (that I can happily say he has GREATLY improved on) of giving the "bird" to stupid drivers. My mom made a joke once saying she was going to cut that finger off and LeGrand replied, "than I'll just flip a nubbie" - and the first thing my Dad said when he heard the news was (jokeingly), "I hope it was the birdie finger." - Um, yep!
Well, LeGrand can officially "flip a nubbie" :)
So, unfortunately our trip ended sooner than anticipated and we didn't even make it to the reception. But, LeGrand is doing well other than a hurt ego (he's pretty embarrassed that he did such a dumb thing) and dealing with A LOT of pain. We have to go in sometime this week and meet with the doctor to make sure it is healing well and find out if he has to have surgury. As for the finger tip - we have yet to find it - and I hope we don't (that's sick)! -- I don't handle these things well, I almost passed out trying to help him change the bandages - poor guy had to do it himself and tell me to go lay down. LOL.
I call it our golden finger - cause it's gonna cost about that much!

Here's the pic's - the first ones the worse, he took it the first time he changed the bandages.








10 comments:

Hf said...

OH MY HECK!! Legrand.

Feel better soon and what in the world is up with the neighbor??

btw the word verification was noronic, kinda funny.

Kandice said...

oh yucky. that is too bad...that looks so painful....tell him good luck, and I will make sure to tell G.J. not to repeat that error...

Hillary said...

Oh my gosh!!! You're not kidding what a weekend! I hope he is ok, and i hope you're not scarred emotionally forever!! How scary. I REALLY hope everything is ok, keep us posted.

Hillary said...

Oh my gosh!!! You're not kidding what a weekend! I hope he is ok, and i hope you're not scarred emotionally forever!! How scary. I REALLY hope everything is ok, keep us posted.

shylo said...

hope you feel better. I remember many different accidents you had growing up, like falling out of the bedroom window into the rose bushes, but this doen't come close. Well, atleast you will have a good rememberence of this lesson.

Danielle Hacking said...

Wow, what a weekend! Hope Legrand has a speedy recovery!
Just glad it wasn't worse, jease!

Mariah said...

Holy Mackeral!!! I can't believe this. Then again, with LeGrand?? Anything's possible. Dang though.

Amy Jenks said...

Oh my goodness! The whole time I was reading this on google reader, I was cringing. I'm so sorry! I hope he feels better soon!

brookerichins12 said...

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, tell LeGrand we are thinking of him. I hope he gets feeling better. What is up with that neighbor? Some people...

Jen said...

POOOOOOR Legrand! That last picture of him all curled up on the couch makes me so sad! I dated a guy who lost his ENTIRE big toe to his lawnmower! They should put larger warning signs on those things. =) Feel better!!