Sunday, November 14, 2010

Snow Canyon Half!















A few months ago I took on a challenge that I never could have dreamed I would even have a desire to try! Some friends and I decided we were going to train for a half marathon (doesn't 13.1 miles just sound SO MUCH BETTER than 26.2?) We had exactly 12 weeks until the Snow Canyon Half Marathon so we got to work! We literally started from scratch - I could barely run 2.5 miles and then I felt like I was going to die and I DIDN'T enjoy one bit of it!

*I must note* I AM NOT a runner!!!!! (see all those exclamation points!) The LONGEST I had EVER ran in my LIFE was a 5k (3 miles) and I hated it! To this day I can't say I LOVE to run, what I can say is that I have learned to enjoy it more than I did :)

This challenge proved to be one of the most exhausting yet life changing things I have ever accomplished!
I pushed myself to limits I didn't know I had -
I disciplined myself to run wherever I was so I could stay on schedule.
Some runs were easy {I felt FANTASTIC after my 7 mile}, some runs were GRUELING {my 10 mile was ROUGH-to say the least-both my running partners were injured leaving me to run it alone and I didn't even have music, I just listened to myself breath for TEN-MILES!}
Yet in the end, the pride and confidence I felt after finishing ANOTHER run is indescribable!

November 6th was the BIG day, and really I can't believe HOW FAST that 12 weeks of training flew by!
Race day was perfect and running through snow canyon was Awesome! I loved the course and I LOVE that I exceeded BOTH goals I set for myself:
#1-Run the entire 13.1 miles
#2-Finish in 2hr. 15 min.

I did it! 2 hrs. 8 min.'s later I crossed the finish line!





















I'm grateful I took on this challenge and I really can't believe how much it has changed me. I learned the reality to the saying, "Mind over Matter" - you truly can accomplish ANYTHING you put your mind to!
Though I do have to admit - I'm not necessarily addicted :) - I do have plans to do a couple more next year to keep me motivated but I don't think a full marathon is in my future - 26.2 miles doesn't appeal to me AT ALL!

PS - I'm in the BEST shape of my life :)

1 comment:

Heather Whitworth said...

Wow Lib! That is so awesome, I am so proud of you!!! I've been hoping you would post some pics of your race :)