Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day!

So, we spent our memorial day getting much done around the house. LeGrand gets frustrated with me because I just want it all done NOW! But, truth is it just takes time and it is coming along quite nicely - I'll post some pics later.

Anyway, I think memorial day is such a special day to celebrate. I have many memories of visiting Grandma and Grandpa Hoopes graves in the White Rocks Cemetary. Now I also have a dear Aunt burried there. Although we didn't get to go visit this year I took the day yesterday to keep them on my mind. They are people who should never be forgotten. Grandpa Hoopes was a vetren. He was such a kind, gentle caring man. He passed when I was in the 5th grade, he is much like my father. Grandma Hoopes was someone I never had the opportunity to meet. She passed away when my father was just 21, he had just returned from his mission. I feel like I know her because of all the stories I've been told about her, and I'm lucky enough to carry her name (Loa). I have always been proud of this and the fact that my dad tells me I am much like her, I feel very close to her and can't wait for the day to meet her. My dear Aunt Marlene was a one-of-a-kind lady. She was so unselfish, always thinking of others. She was a woman of many talents, knitting, crochet, and a fabulous cook - I'll never forget her AMAZING homemade rolls. We spent many dinners at her place. She was also always the one to make us laugh, often times it was at her that we were laughing but she didn't even mind, eventually she would join us and we would laugh till we were crying and our tummys hurt. What a woman!
I also lost a dear cousin when we were just four. And throughout my life I've had many people pass who were dear friends and family members. I'm grateful for the many memories I have of these people and the way they have touched my life.

2 comments:

The Hoopes Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hoopes Family said...

Sorry I don't know if you can see that I deleted the post before that I left but I mispelt a word and that drives me crazy!!

Lib, What a nice this to say about your family. I only knew Marlyn for a short time but I totally agree with the statement "What a woman!" It was great seeing you guys and if you need someone to watch Leaxin while you go to the temple we would love to!! See you the 31st.