Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Grandma VaLoy's funeral

At the beginning of November they discovered that LeGrand's sweet grandma VaLoy was full of stomach cancer, within a few days she had passed on.  She was a woman with a heart of gold who spent her life caring for many, including several foster children.  She always made you feel welcome with her sweet smile and cared about all.
After she had been in the hospital a couple of days LeGrands Mom asked me if I would drive her down to see Grandma, I wasn't that thrilled about it but I agreed to.  We drove to Ogden to the hospital his mom told me she was at.  I dropped her off then headed to pick up some things at Target and give her time to visit - I knew the two little kids wouldn't last longer than a couple of minutes in the hospital and wanted to give her some time.  I just got to Target and started loading my cart when Nancy called and said that it was the wrong hospital, ugh.  So I drove back, picked her up and took her to the right hospital, dropped her off and went back to finish my Target run.  About 45 min. later we were back at the hospital to pick her up, and just as we walked in they informed us that grandma had passed.  I learned a lot that day.  My attitude wasn't the best because I didn't really want to take my whole day to drive her down there -especially because I didn't understand why Ed wouldn't just do it, and then to get down there and have all of the mix up about the hospital and having to do all the extra run around - I was extra frustrated.  But as I walked in and saw grandma and was told she just passed I was very humbled.  I knew that I needed to take Nancy that day to give her one last chance to be with her Mom, and to be there when she passed, it really was a blessing.  And I recognized that even with all of the mix up she held on long enough for Nancy to be there. I felt bad that I had been kind of ornery about the whole thing and was extra grateful for the chance to serve.  It's a day I will never forget, and a day I hope I can remember when those 'hard to serve' opportunities arise.
LeGrand and I had planned a trip to Vegas for our anniversary, but when grandma passed we felt it best that we forgo our trip and stay to support, and so that LeGrand could be a pallbearer.  Helinfield and the kids flew in from Orlando.  The funeral services were nice and the day was beautiful!




No comments: